Turkish Armed Forces are planning to recruit more than 9,700 military officers in 2018 in order to meet "urgent needs," local media reported Monday citing Defense Minister Nurettin Canikli.
According to the state-run Anadolu news agency, the minister said that an attempted coup in July 2016, had undermined the country’s military recruitment systems. Canikli explained that the exams had been held under the supervision of military officials which later orchestrated the coup attempt. This, according to the minister, allowed the perpetrator to infiltrate in the country's armed forces.
Canikli added that the government had responded by opening the National Defense University, noting that a record-high number of students had applied to the military institution in 2017.
"Last year, more than 230,000 young people applied to enter our military schools. This is a record number," the minister said, as quoted by the agency.
He added that nearly 6,900 young people, including more than 600 foreign students, were currently receiving training at the military institution.