Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said Friday that a military advance against Kurdish YPG militants in northeastern Syria would be delayed until the US pullout is over.
"We [chose to] delay our operation to avoid friendly fire after the US announced troop withdrawal from Syria," Çavuşoğlu said during a visit to Malta, as quoted by the TRT channel.
The withdrawal of 2,000 US troops from Syria was announced on Wednesday after Trump said that the objective to defeat the Islamic State terror group had been achieved.
Çavuşoğlu welcomed the United States' decision to withdraw its troops from Syria.
"With regards to the withdrawal, the decision of the United States to withdraw from Syria, we welcome that decision and Turkey fully supports the territory integrity of (Syria)," he told reporters.