Kosovo prosecutor drops extradition case over alleged Turkey coup links

The Kosovo prosecutor told the judge in withdrawing his case that he had asked the Turkish embassy to provide more evidence but had not received any
Friday, 15 December 2017 02:46

A Kosovo prosecutor withdrew his bid on Thursday to extradite a Turkish citizen accused by Turkey of being part of a group linked to a failed coup there in 2016, saying Ankara had not provided enough evidence to back the case, Reuters reported. 

Uğur Toksoy, an alleged member of the U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen's network was arrested in October at the request of prosecutors in the Turkish region of Hatay, on charges of working for an organisation in Kosova linked to the network. Gülen network was one of the masterminds of last year's coup attempt. 

The Kosovo prosecutor told the judge in withdrawing his case that he had asked the Turkish embassy to provide more evidence but had not received any. He said he could start the case again if Turkey sends more evidence, Reuters reported.

Toksoy is one of two Kosovo-based Turks named on a Turkish wanted list of 11 people issued by the public prosecutor in Hatay province bordering Syria and seen by Reuters. The others are listed as living in Austria, Thailand, Mauritania, Romania and Lithuania.

Gulen-linked schools and foundations have been facing funding problems and closing in the Balkans and elsewhere. Kosovo has refused to close Gülen schools on its soil, while Turkish government-supported schools are also being opened across the country, the report said.

Turkish companies run the Kosova's sole airport, own electricity distribution and have won the tenders to build two highways worth around $2 billion. it added.