Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Monday asked Saudi officials to prove their claim that missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi left the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
"Consulate officials cannot save themselves by saying that he left the building... Don't you have the camera?" Erdoğan told a news conference. "If he left, you have to prove it with the footage. Those who ask Turkish authorities where he is should ask what happened."
The 59-year-old Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor, went missing last Tuesday while visiting the consulate for paperwork to marry his Turkish fiancee.
Turkish officials told news agencies over the weekend that they believed Khashoggi had been killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
Riyadh vehemently denies the claim and says Khashoggi left the consulate.
Turkey on Monday sought permission to search the consulate premises, Turkish TV reported.
Turkish officials told news agencies over the weekend that they believed Khashoggi had been killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, and President Tayyip Erdoğan said he was personally following the case.